Ally’s Thoughts: A Month Has Passed

Hi everyone! Happy weekend to you!

I rarely share my personal life directly here but today, I’ll just give myself an exception for it.

Today marked a month of working in a new environment. I am happy to share one aspect that I love about this job… well, the only thing I do enjoy is not the job actually… but the journey I took every day to reach my workplace.

Every day, I would spend four hours of my time on my journey from home to workplace and back to home again. So, two hours going and another two hours back home.

I will riding my bike to the train station and I will be waiting for an interval of fifteen minutes except on weekends where I need to wait for forty minutes. It will take me an hour ride to reach the second train terminal. Next, I have to wait an interval of ten minutes before the train arrived. My second train will take around twenty to thirty minutes of ride before I reach the station I wanted. After I drop myself on the station, it will be a fifteen minute walk to my workplace. If I am lucky, I don’t have to wait for the train but if I am not, it will be a long wait.

By my complete description on my daily journey, it is a habit of mine to observe the people around me. So, I did observe every one and I tend to notice one or two things about them. So, I will share with you guys how I see them every day.

Sometimes in the morning, I saw familiar faces that I saw previously but on my next day, I saw different faces. Some are going to school, some to work and some might be travelling somewhere with their bulky backpack.

I saw young and old with a destination to go. Some took one station to reach, others more… like me. Some were listening with their earphones and headphones, some was reading books, some sleeping. In the coach, there are different genders, races and personality that shows the diversity of my country. Some can be rowdy but some prefer the quite ride.

Every time I reached the station or terminal, there will be a lot of activities around. Some were sitting and waiting for their train to come, rushing folks here and there, enjoying morning breakfast, handing flyers, making friends, saying goodbye, and lively chat.

Whenever I reached the terminal, I will be greeted with the smell of McD morning menu, strong coffee, the different perfume from different individuals and what strike me the most is the local breakfast aroma of curry for Roti Canai. Totally Malaysian.

During the peak hours, it is totally normal for the train to be packed, especially right now as the train provider is using a two coach train instead of the four coach because they are currently under safety inspection. The train are sardine canned packed with pushing and grunting. Some stay cool but some can’t help to express their anger. What can I do? I’m also a victim.

Somehow, it doesn’t matter which one I take, to go home early and get canned or go home late and play the unbearable wait for the train interval. Not to mention that the chance for me to get a seat is pretty low because I am a young person and the seats should be given to the people who needs more. However, some people can be insensitive too.

There are a lot of foreigners too. Some came from the US, Europe, middle east or to put it simple, came from all over the world. The same question would popped out, how can I be friends with them? I am timid and shy, all I can give them was a smile.

My every day walk is just amazing. A fifteen to twenty minute walk  in one way. The pavement filled with stalls selling breakfast, most popular is Nasi Lemak. There will be Nasi Lemak stalls every 10 metre walk. I have not tried them all, maybe one or two stalls.

The scene was spectacular. The fusion of green lush trees, the busy traffic, the different mood of sky and the cloud reach buildings. Some day, it is amazing but some days are painful.

However, the journey took a toll on me. My first week, I had ingrown toenails that made my toenail bleed internally and only the next following week I had it removed and it turned better. Previously it was swollen and purple. This week, I had few cuts between my toes because of the long walk with the combination of bad socks and shoes. Unbelievably, my feet has been aching for a month now. It aches every day.

I should be wearing sandals starting next week.

Okay, that is all I want to share for now. My journey can be amazing and boring too, but it is totally on me, on how to perceive the journey I took.

I hope everyone will have a great weekend and a wonderful day! All the best!

13 thoughts on “Ally’s Thoughts: A Month Has Passed

  1. Sandals are great. Then it’s not so sore. I love people watching too. When I was younger it was a 5 minutes walk to the station and a 45 minutes train trip then had to wait for the tram. It’s then another 30 minutes tram and another 10 minutes walk to school.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. i loved your personal story here Ally! it so reflects our Malaysian life and was a joy to read, And you are good at describing the details you see of life happening. I used to do all that too, in my early work days, now my journey just takes 5 mins and I have only traffic to look at, oh and the sky , so I take a lot of photos of clouds. Love this writing very much!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s